Child support in Tennessee is based on a state formula. Although there is no room for negotiation, the amount of child support can be affected by statutory deviations or incorrect financial information.
The role of a Clinton child support attorney in these cases is to verify incomes, credits, and other factors to ensure fairness under the laws of Tennessee. The family law and divorce attorneys of The Cantrell Law Firm handle an initial determination of child support as well as modifications and enforcement.
Questions about Tennessee child support? Contact us for a free consultation. We serve clients in Clinton, Oak Ridge, Knoxville, and throughout East Tennessee.
Lawyers Handling Child Support & Modifications
Under the Tennessee child support guidelines, the base amount is calculated on the incomes of both parents, the number of children and the number of days of visitation. The formula then applies credits for work-related child care, for other children in the household, and other limited factors.
The child support formula is what it is. The experience of our Clinton child support attorneys comes into play in the following scenarios:
• Accurate information — A parent who is self-employed or paid in cash may not fully disclose income. A parent whose income fluctuates may need special consideration. We can trace actual income through subpoena or forensic experts if necessary.
• Employment — The court can impute income for a parent who is intentionally unemployed or underemployed to avoid or minimize child support. The court can also make temporary allowances for employment hardships.
• Parenting time — We help non-custodial parents maximize their visitation, which may reduce the level of child support.
• Modification of child support — Upon a substantial change in circumstances (a better job, a layoff, a change in custody, remarriage), the court can modify child support up or down. We make sure that the court has all the facts to make the right decision.
• Enforcement — We can file contempt of court charges if the other parent is not paying court-ordered support, and pursue remedies such as garnishment of wages.
• Experience in Divorce, Custody & Child Support
The Cantrell Law Firm handles family law in Anderson County, Campbell County, Knox County and nearby counties of East Tennessee. For a free, confidential consultation, call 865-457-9100, or contact us online.
362 South Charles G Seivers Boulevard
Clinton, TN 37716
531 Callahan Dr Ste 101 A
Knoxville, TN 37912
For more information please contact us at 865-457-9100